Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mini-update: KDE4

I just rebuilt KDE 4.1++ from SVN sources, and frankly, it makes me want to kill small puppies.
This is the list I have compiled after approximately 15 minutes of use.
  1. I tried to use the auto-hide, KDE4 does not like this. To trigger the taskbar's visibility you need to get all the way to the screen side where the panel lives, then back off several pixels. And hope. The panel would sometimes not respond or become visible then immediately fade. But the edge of the screen itself does not respond to input at all.
  2. For me, KDE starts without window decorators, if I try to enable them the panel gains a title bar which doesn't seem to accept input. This causes some problems when trying to open the panel settings. The panel settings are cool when they open since they attach to the panel. But when this titlebar is open you need to quickly cross it to get to the configuration panel, a lot of the time you will lose both panels.
  3. Desktop Folder is the crappiest thing I've seen in a long time, I would LOVE to turn this off and get a real desktop. I can't.
  4. The focus is very strange, to bring a window to front you need to click on its TITLEBAR, not anywhere in the window... I'm hoping that's a settable option but I couldn't battle the interface enough to get to the control panel so no idea here. If this is default, it's just a stupid idea.
Maybe I'll try more later, maybe I'll delete it again and wait for KDE 4.2. Anyone have any GOOD things to say about KDE4?

--PXA

No comments: