Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Phone Review: BlackBerry Storm

I'm eschewing my standard phone review format and making a more editorial format review. The Storm showed up on a list of the top 10 embarrassments of 2008. I really don't think that's fair. In the current market I really doubt any one is going to get very excited over a phone unless it can absolutely STOMP the iPhone...or IS an iPhone. But to call a sluggishly adopted phone an embarrassment just isn't fair.

The phone did almost everything right. They took a very mature platform, put a highly advanced touchscreen and very innovative UI on top of it. Created a very nice media player and packaged it into one of the best looking BlackBerries ever. There's nothing about the phone to NOT like. The detractors have constantly complained about the lack of WiFi, and while NICE to have, the phone doesn't NEED WiFi because the Verizon network is so good. I had the phone for over a week and never sat around thinking "Boy I wish I had some WiFi so I could use some data".

I feel the Storm is better than the iPhone in several ways:
1. Native multi-tasking. This makes on-the-go IMing work out quite a bit better since the connection is actually persistent and real-time and not some kind of answering machine service. 2. The device wide notification API allows any application to let you know you have messages RIGHT on the main screen. You don't need to depend on sound cues to know what you have.
3. The keyboard is worlds beyond what the iPhone has. The spelling correction and predictive text features are golden, I never really got into an argument with it. Also the extra physical buttons makes for an easier "No I really meant to type it that way" experience since the key is always in the same place.
4. Just about every application changes orientation as opposed to the like 2 blessed iPhone applications that do that. RIM understands that people will want to TYPE type on the phone and let you do it with both thumbs if you want.
5. MMS. Had to say it.
6. Copy & Paste. Again.
7. Haptic feedback. The phone cleverly simulates pressing a real button when navigating its interface by...making you press a real button. Yes it's the whole screen, but it really doesn't make much of a difference pressing one button for every key or each key is a button like the inside keyboard on the Voyager.
8. Programmable "convenience" keys. No matter what application you're in, these keys will do whatever you tell them. So you have 1 touch access to your camera, or your email, or anything else you can think of...without having to go back to the home screen.
9. The camera, more mega pixels, better focus, and a real flash. Physically better in every way than the iPhone's...too bad the software for it was no good.
10. It's the little things, when you're using the media player tapping one of the Up/Down keys on the side below the headphone jack will increase or decrease the volume. But if you HOLD down that button it will skip to the next song or go back to a previous one. On the iPhone you need to unlock the phone to change volume, and work your way all the way to the "Now Playing" screen to move around in the playlist. Laame.

It's a very BlackBerry thing to have several functions built into a single control depending on how long you hold it or how many times you hit it.

They missed the boat on just a few things:
1. They put out the phone a little too early (Wow where have I heard that before?), before the BlackBerry store for the phone was launched. Most of the success of the iPhone was due to the app store you had access to the first day you opened the box. Without the app store, it's difficult to find programs for the phone and even then the quality is questionable.
2. Without a "Corporate" data plan from Verizon, which costs $15 extra on top of the $30 unlimited PDA data plan, the phone will not sync anything over the air. It will RECEIVE email, and somehow mine managed a one time sync of my calendar. But after that the only way I could get appointments would be to send myself invitations. The phone does understand invitations. But reading or deleting a message (Even when selecting "Delete from mailbox & handheld") will never sync back...so you need to delete everything twice. The iPhone does this synchronization without the extra data plan. It just may not necessarily be pushing those changes, but I can live with that. This is the big point for me. Had they managed to pull this one off, I may have not cared about the lack of apps or ...
3. Pandora Radio. I love Pandora. I love it so much I paid money for access to a free service. I think what they do is innovative, unique, and high quality. They deserve to be paid. There is a Pandora radio application for any phones on the AT&T or Sprint networks, and also for any Windows Mobile phone. BlackBerries, regardless of network and ESPECIALLY Verizon, are SOL. This really irked me. While not RIM's fault specifically, this is very disappointing, especially given all the other mobile platforms the app is available on. Considering the howling the BlackBerry community has been doing to both Pandora and RIM, it may behoove both of them to sit down and work something out since it's long overdue.
4. Not really a major detractor, I really do wish that more applications too advantage of the device's multi-touch capabilities. The API includes these features. I'm betting they wanted to get the phone out to market and didn't have the time to implement it, probably the same situation as the app store. It may be coming in a future update.

Verizon didn't let me try the Omnia, which is unfortunate since it may have saved them in my eyes. But this is it folks. I tried. I tried so very hard to avoid it. I bought and tested 3 phones, and did extensive in store trials and market research on 4 others. The best of the best, available in the US. And nothing quite got it right. The Storm was the closest. And some phones that SHOULD have been amazing got crippled by manufacturers not realizing they can't bully and short-change the market.

It makes me sad.

I now own an iPhone.
I admit this likely makes me a sellout...but no one can deny the pains I took to make sure it was the only way to get the features I wanted, and I don't think I wanted much. I'd like to go to Verizon the next phone cycle in 2 years. Let's hope the market gets their shit together and learns to compete.

--PXA

1 comment:

dimzDROID said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.