Saturday, December 26, 2009

VLC includes Santa Hat icon, offends Buddhist?

A few days ago I noticed my VLC icon, the much beloved cone, had donned a red "Santa" hat. I thought it was a cute little "easter egg", and thought nothing more of it. This morning I was wondering if there was a plugin or if it would be easy to make a feature for VLC that involved the icon randomly swapping hats. Deerstalkers, fedoras, pressman's hats, baseball caps...just hats. For fun. I came across a recent thread on the VLC dev forums where someone was requesting the hat be removed or a patch be made to allow users to toggle the hat on or off during the Christmas season. This person was apparently incredibly offended the some developer thought it would be cute to give the cone a recognizable hat for a few weeks out of the year. I'm really curious if this person also gets offended at restaurants that put up orange and black streamers or cardboard witches in late October, or people who wear "What would Jesus do?" bracelets. I found a little survey generator and I'm going to try to embed it here and see if I get enough readership to actually collect some useful data here. Just for my own edification.

The link to the thread is here: http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2009-December/070015.html

[The survey period is over, it has been removed.]

1 comment:

jesse said...

The santa hat isn't even christian. Christmas isn't even christian! It's a pagan holiday. Jesus was supposed to be born in march, but the church needed a holiday to rival other religions celebration of the winter solstice.