Thursday, October 2, 2008

I <3 Launchy!

It's no big secret that Launchy is one of the best programs ever to be written for Windows.
For those unfamiliar, Launchy is an open source keystroke launcher for Windows. Effectively a clone of the incredibly useful OS X tool Quicksilver. Launchy binds to a global shortcut key combination (defaults to alt+space) and then indexes the links in your start menu as well as others, allowing you to simply begin typing the name of the program you'd like to run and then hitting enter when you've given Launchy enough to work with. Launchy also learns what your common shortcuts are, so the first time you need to launch Firefox, you'll probably need to type almost the whole thing. However, after a few weeks you'll be able to launch Firefox by typing "f" into Launchy.

I have previously made the statement the Executor was better because it allows custom keywords to be set in the application so you can configure it to...say, run Internet Explorer when you type "turdpile" :D. However, as cool as it was, it took so freaking long to display the window I couldn't deal with it.

But this isn't the reason I bring it up today. I wanted to make note of the fact that Launchy has recently released a Linux version, bringing the power of keystrokes to the GNU desktop.

Launchy provides a .deb package for Linux distributions whose package management is based on dpkg or apt-get. They also provide a source tarball which can be used to build just about anywhere else. My preferred Linux is Gentoo. Some say this is because I like to suffer. Gentoo's package management system is based on ebuild files which are a set of instructions for retrieving source, patching, configuring, and compiling. To this end I decided to install Launchy on Gentoo legitimately, using an ebuild and an overlay.

Included in this zip file is a folder which can be unzipped into your portage overlay and installed using emerge. If you do use it, you should note:
The Launchy portion itself depends on qt4, while the calcy plugin requires Boost. Since Launchy can be built without calcy, I have set this in the ebuild as a USE flag. If you would like calcy, make sure to add 'calcy' to your USE flags before emerging launchy.

As an interesting note, with any luck you may not have to go through the trouble of creating an overlay for this as the ebuilds and associated patches have been submitted to Gentoo's bugzilla to be added to portage. (YAY!)

The bug can be found here.
Vote for me!

P.S.: My good friend, Sam, has offered me some of his bandwidth and hosting space. I will be hosting all future packages and patches on his server. Check out his stuff at www.samplusplus.com He does webdesign and also makes sweet little desktop enhancement applications like Jango Desktop.

That is all.
--PXA

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! http://www.samplusplus.com was mentioned. I want to let you know you inspired me to start blogging and get some of my work up on my personal site. So I turned http:;//SamuelHaddad.com into a blog.

Keep up the good work man.