Sunday, October 17, 2010

October Horror Season 2: Day 17

Day 3 of Serial Killer week's feature presentation is "From Hell".  This 2001 film was directed by the Hughes Brothers (previously known for Menace II Society and Dead Presidents) and based on the Alan Moore graphic novel.



Now, I confess I've seen this movie before, and it is one of my favorite movies.  I don't know if it's Top 10, but I've always really enjoyed it.  It seemed to be something that was artistic and stylish but still accessible a violent, so I felt I could enjoy it without feeling like a brute who just loves bloody movies.  I think the assessment still holds up, but after repeated views and thinking about this after some slight "Film Schooling" by my better half, it's probably not as high art as I originally thought.

In fact, part of the reason I probably noticed the filming style was how heavy handed the use of angle and colored lighting was in the first act of the film.  Later on, they seemed to film more using natural white light and enhancing certain elements with color.  From what I understand from the DVD commentary the film was shot mostly chronologically, so it could've just been the brothers getting used to directing a movie like this, or perhaps some additional budget being allocated to allow them to film on locations instead of sound stages.  Either way, after the funeral scene the quality of the lighting improves significantly.  Also, while I really enjoyed the graphic novel style angles and contrasts in the early movie, I will admit that the later style feels a lot more natural while still maintaining some signatures (like the shot of Jack walking up the ladder shot from underneath the carriage).

Aside from the shaky start cinematography-wise, there really isn't much playing against this film because it's still very well directed and very well written.  The cast includes Johnny Depp, Robbie Coltrane, and Ian Holm, so the acting is all very good.  Even the lesser known actors and actresses playing the Masons and the Whitechapel hookers are very good.  In fact, the worst casting choice was probably Heather Graham.

This almost hedges out Feast as my favorite movie of the month so far, but I still love the prodigious amount of unapologetic gore Feast pumps out.  If I was trying to seem higher class than that, though, I'd put From Hell up front.  Definitely see it if you haven't.

Tomorrow night was supposed to be High Tension, but due to already having the DVD and needing to catch up, we watched Se7en.

No comments: